CHILDREN AND TEEN SERVICES LIBRARY ASSISTANT (Part-time)
Job Description: The Lancaster Public Library has an opening for a part-time Library Assistant in the Children and Teen Services Department at its Lancaster City Branch. In addition to meeting the information needs of patrons while staffing the Children and Teen Services desk, this individual assists in implementing a busy schedule of programs for children, tweens, and teens. Supports individuals and groups using the Autism Resource Center.
- Assisting patrons with the use of library resources and services.
- Recommending materials to patrons based on age, reading level, and interest.
- Planning and implementing programs which are educational, entertaining, and enriching as needed. Currently this includes Family Place™ Parent-Child Playshops and Preschool Storytimes. (Responsibilities may change over time.)
- Assisting with community outreach as needed.
- Assisting with shelving as needed.
- Facilitating special projects as needed.
Qualifications Required: Bachelor’s degree in related field preferred or an equivalent combination of experience sufficient to successfully perform the job. Computer skills required. Strong commitment to public service, highly motivated, quick learner, organized, reliable and able to adapt to changing user needs. Scheduling flexibility required, as work schedule may vary based on the needs of the department. Current work schedule includes hours on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, and every other Saturday.
Successful candidates will demonstrate the ability to cheerfully respond to patron requests, become familiar with library resources and services, work cooperatively in a team environment, complete assignments in a timely manner, conduct programs, and meet an established work schedule.
Desirable Qualifications: Public library experience. Experience working with children and teens. Proficiency in Spanish, sign language and other languages.
Compensation: Hourly wage: $9.87 per hour. Hours: 20 per week and may include evenings and weekends.
Applications: Equal Opportunity Employer. Send letter, resume, and the names, addresses, email addresses and phone numbers of three references to the address below. Candidates must also submit a Pennsylvania Criminal Record Check and Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance. If available and current (within one year), submit copies with your application.
Job Description: The Circulation/Computer Assistant is assigned shifts at both the Circulation Desk and the Computer Help Desk. While at the Circulation Desk, this individual assists patrons with circulation related issues. At the Help Desk, facilitates patron use of the public access computers, printer and copier.
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Millennium ILS experience preferred
- Pleasant demeanor and helpful attitude essential
- Excellent customer service skills
- Good computer skills including internet searching, email, and MS Office
- Ability to use office equipment including printer, copier, telephone, credit card machine, cash register
- Ability to communicate clearly in English; other languages desirable
- Ability to multi-task in a busy, challenging environment.
- Ability to transport, lift and shelve large volumes of materials
- Flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends
Criminal Background and Child Abuse Clearances required before starting position.
Compensation: Hourly wage: $9.18 /hour
Employment Information and FormsApplication for Employment Request for Criminal Record Check Child Abuse Clearance Forms
A Criminal Record Check and Child Abuse Clearance are required for all libary staff.
Process for Filing Clearances: The Criminal Clearance form must be submitted and processed first either by paying by credit card online or by mail. Once the processed Criminal Clearance is returned, the applicant should:
- make a copy
- file the original for future use
- attach the copy to the completed Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance form
- mail to the address at the top of this form at the Department of Welfare
Failure to follow the correct procedure will cause unnecessary delays in processing.
Please send all information to:
Lancaster Public Library
125 N. Duke Street
Lancaster, PA 17602
Attention: Kathy Leader
firstname.lastname@example.org or (fax) 717-394-3083